Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Making Dehydrated Hash Browns

I did some research on the Internet to find out how to make dehydrated hash browns.  This is what I found out and what worked the best for me:
Boil the potatoes whole with the peels still on.  Remove the potatoes as soon as you can pierce them with a toothpick easily. Do not use a fork to test them for doneness.  I ended up with a lot of potatoes that broke into small pieces and got made into mashed potatoes. They have to be softer to get a fork into them than a toothpick.  I rinsed them until they stopped steaming.  When cool refrigerate until completely cold.  Overnight is best.  Remove the peels and grate the potatoes onto the dehydrator trays.  The peels did not come off as easily as they normally do. I used the mesh liners on my trays, so the holes would be smaller.  Spread the shredded potatoes evenly onto the trays.  I layered mine as thick as the trays would allow.  Dry at 125 degrees until crisp.  Mine took about 8 hours.

These are the potatoes that I grated onto the dehydrator after they had sat in the strainer several hours and felt room temperature.  They grated into smaller pieces and stuck together.  They peeled off of the dehydrator trays in chunks.

These are the potatoes that I refrigerated overnight and  grated onto the dehydrator trays the next morning.  They look a lot better and separated into individual pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment