Monday, July 18, 2011

Bread and Butter Pickles

Bread and Butter Pickles   This recipe came from my second mom, DeLoa.  This is my favorite pickle recipe!

10 large pickling cucumbers, cleaned and sliced
3 cups sugar
3 cups white vinegar
3 large yellow onions, diced
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp mustard seed
1 Tbsp turmeric
Boil vinegar and sugar.  Add all other ingredients.  Simmer 8 minutes.  Put in jars.  Makes 3 quarts.  Cure at least 3 weeks.

NOTE:  I do not like onions, so I use 15 to 20 large pickling cucumbers and one onion.

NOTE:  I slice the cucumbers and put the slices into the jars.  I heap the jars.  I find that this is the perfect way to measure and get exactly three quarts full after adding the other ingredients and cooking.

NOTE:  I double and triple this recipe.  I simmer for 8 minutes no matter how big of a batch I make at one time.

NOTE:  I do not hot water bath my pickles.  I find that they get soggy.  They do get crisp again in the refrigerator, but not as crisp as the ones that are not placed in a hot water bath.  If you want to hot water bath these than process quarts for 20 minutes (4500 ft. elev.)  This recipe is old enough that is doesn’t have hot water bath instruction with it.  I got the information for processing from another pickle recipe and tried it one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment