Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hot Dog Relish

Hot Dog Relish   This recipe came from my mom.  She got it many many years ago from a
                             church bake sale.
                             I love this recipe, but if I had read the ingredients before tasting it I would
                             have never made it.  I think it sound terrible.

4 cups coarse ground onion
4 cups coarse ground green cabbage (about 1 medium head)
4 cups coarse ground green tomatoes (about 10)
6 coarse ground sweet red peppers
1/2 cup salt
6 cups sugar
1 Tbsp. celery seed
2 Tbsp mustard seed
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
4 cups cider vinegar
2 cups water

Grind vegetables using coarse blade.  Sprinkle with salt and let stand overnight.  Rinse and drain.
Combine remaining ingredients and pour over vegetable mixture.  Heat to boiling and simmer 3 minutes.  Seal in hot sterile jars.  Process 10 minutes.  Makes 8 pints.  This processing time is for 4500 ft elev.

NOTE:  I use my food processer with the knife blade and grind small amounts at a time.  Do not let the vegetable pieces get to small.  Think of how store bought relish looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment