Sunday, August 21, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce

Spaghetti Sauce   This recipe came from my second mom, DeLoa.  She got it from her neighbor, Barbara.

12 quarts chopped and peeled tomatoes
1 extra large bell pepper
3 sweet onions (I use 4)
4 Tbsp. oregano leaves
4 palm full of dried basil leaves.  Crush before adding.
4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
8 cloves garlic (I use 10)

Grind onions, pepper, and garlic in a food processer.  Add all ingredients into a very pot and cook until reduced to about 3/4.  Pour into quart jars and seal.  Pressure can for 20 minutes at 15 pounds.  This is for elevation of 4500 feet.

NOTE:  This needs to be thickened before using.  I add one can of tomato paste to each quart of sauce when I open it and pour it into a pan to heat.  I use Ultra Gel when I run out of tomato paste.  See the canning page for Ultra Gel.

No comments:

Post a Comment