Thursday, October 20, 2016

Dried Grapes, Plums, Squash and Habaneros

Dried Grapes AKA Raisins


This is about 10 tray of grapes in my Gardenmaster dehydrator.  I was given green and purple grapes.  The grapes that are a little lighter in color are the green grapes.  This is a tub that originally held 4 pounds of squash.

How to Dry Grapes:  Wash and remove the stems.  Place on the dehydrator tray and dry at 135 degrees.  I pour the grapes onto the trays and move them around until they become a single layer. I don't try to leave any space between the grapes.  They took about 30 hours to dry.  When done they are pliable and a little sticky.  Store in an airtight container.

Dried Plums AKA Prunes

I was given a bunch of oval shaped plums. As far as I know the oval plums are prune making plums.  I have always liked prunes, but these are better than any I have ever had before.
This is about 8 trays of plums in my Gardenmaster dehydrator.  They are in a tub that originally held 8 pounds of fruit pieces.

How to Dry Plums:  Cut plums in half and remove seeds.  Place skin side down on dehydrator trays.  I put them as close together as I could with no fruit overlapping each other.  Dry at 135 degrees.  These took about 22 hours.  They should be pliable when done.  Store in an airtight container.

Dried Squash

I dried zucchini and crookneck squash.  I only took a picture of the crookneck.  Same tub as the raisins.

How to Dry Squash:  Wash, remove ends and slice about 1/4 inch thick.  I used a mandolin, but a food process would make quick work of slicing too.  Dry at 135 degrees until brittle. These took about 4 hours.  Store in an airtight container.

Dried Habaneros


The top picture is before they are dried and the bottom picture is after they are dried.  They look the same.  I was given these hot peppers. They didn't fill one tray.  I put on disposable glove to prepare these.  These are in a jar that holds about 1 cup.

How to Dry Habaneros:  Cut open and remove the seeds and membrane if desired.  Dry at 135 degrees until brittle. These took about 2 hours.  Store in an airtight container.


No comments:

Post a Comment