Thursday, October 20, 2016

Dried Pears

My niece and I ordered 160 pounds of pears.  I canned about 10 pounds of them.  With some help from a friend the other 150 pounds of pears were dehydrated.  Here is the end result of the dried pears.

All those pears became 16 pounds of dried pears.

How to dehydrate pears:  Peel and core. A melon baller works great for taking out the seeds.  Slice about
1/4 inch thick and put the slices in a bowl of cold water with lemon juice added.  This will keep them from turning brown.  Leave the slices in the lemon water for a minute or more and then place them on the dehydrator and dry until pliable.  I have a Gardenmaster dehydrator by Nesco/American Harvester.  It has a fan and an adjustable thermostat.  I set the temperature at 135 degrees.  I think they took 6 to 7 hours to dry.  They will be crisper when cooled, so if in doubt take a couple of slices out of the dehydrator and let cool or turn the dehydrator off until all are cooled and check to see if they are ready to be removed.  The wet spots will feel cold.  Put those back on the dehydrator and dry some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment