Thursday, October 20, 2016

Dried Spinach, Broccoli and Celery

I went Costco shopping and went out of town before I could use up the produce.  So I decided to dry what I thought would go bad before vacation.

Dried Spinach
 I didn't have much spinach left, but there are 3 or 4 trays like this.

I pressed the spinach into this jar and crushed them a little.  Add to soup or crush into a powder and you can add to anything and no one will ever know.

How to Dry Spinach: Wash and dry leaves, place on dehydrator trays and dry until brittle.  My dehydrator is a Gardenmaster made by American Harvester/Nesco.  Dry at 135 degrees.  They dried in about 1 hour.


Dried Broccoli

Two trays of broccoli.  These were just the tips.  I trimmed the dry ends and cut the large pieces into smaller pieces.

About 2 cups of dried broccoli.

How to Dry Broccoli:  Cut into desired sized pieces.  Steam broccoli until tender.  Place on dehydrator trays and dry at 135 degrees until brittle.  These took about 4 to 5 hours to dry.  Store in airtight container.


Dried Celery

I dried 2 bunches of celery hearts.  I think it was 4 trays.

I saves all the leaves I could.  This is all there was.

They became this small when dried.

This is what the leaves looked like dried.  I plan to make celery salt with the leaves.

All the dried celery became about 3/4 of a cup dried.

How to Dry Celery and Celery Leaves:  Cut celery into desired size.  Blanch celery and leaves for 1 minute.  Immediately place into ice water to stop the cooking process.  Dry at 135 degrees for about 4 hours for the celery and 1 hour for the leaves.  I drained the leaves on paper towels to remove the excess water before putting them on the dehydrator.





No comments:

Post a Comment